Re: libsensors soname bump

Hi Jean,

On 16. 12. 18 12:43, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Ondřej,
>
> You have recently released lm-sensors 3.5.0 with a new soname for
> libsensors:
>
> -LIBMAINVER := 4
> -LIBMINORVER := 4.0
> +LIBMAINVER := 5
> +LIBMINORVER := 0.0
>
> -#define SENSORS_API_VERSION            0x440
> +#define SENSORS_API_VERSION            0x500
>
> This is declaring the new library as incompatible with the previous
> version, meaning that distributions will have to build and ship both
> libsensors4 and libsensors5 for a long time until all applications have
> been updated and rebuilt to link with the new library. This is a
> significant effort for the whole community and should only be done when
> necessary.

I thought there was an ABI change, which would warrant a soname bump. Or
am I wrong in thinking that? I was mistaken however and I'm sorry about
that, there was no ABI change.

I don't see why distributions would have to ship two versions of the
library. The *name* of the library didn't change, it's still libsensors
(not libsensors4 or libsensors5).
[~/git/lm-sensors]$ make
[~/git/lm-sensors]$ ls lib/ | grep libsensors.so
libsensors.so
libsensors.so.5
libsensors.so.5.0.0

So all distros need to do is rebuild dependent packages. No changes to
other packages should be required.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Ondra