Re: [RFC] adding TDM support to applesmc module?

On 05/09/2017 02:26 AM, Florian Echtler wrote:
Hello everyone,

a brief question: I've recently found out how to enable Target Display Mode
(i.e., use the iMac as a display for an external video source) when running
Linux, namely by writing to some specific SMC keys.

Right now, this involves an ugly hacked userspace tool that can't coexist with
applesmc, so I'd like to do this "properly" and integrate support for these keys
in applesmc as a sysfs node.

Would this be the correct route, although applesmc is a hwmon module?

Best, Florian

Just stumbled over this and realized I never answered. I don't really have
a strong opinion either way; the driver seems to be pretty much messed up as-is
and might ask for a rework as mfd driver. Adding another attribute would not make
that any worse. I'd expect Henrik to agree to any changes, though.

Thanks,
Guenter