Re: How to add nano precision measurement to hwmon

Hi Lucas,

On 02/17/2017 08:07 AM, Lucas Tanure wrote:
Hi,

We have here in our company an internal hardware platform for our linux development that can measure current in a few circuits with nanoamps precision.
The measured values are exposed by a 32bit register that must read as a 32bit float.

If we follow the hwmon sysfs interface we loss precision converting to milliamps, where the final value exposed is zero.

Example :
Measure 291nA becomes 0mA under sysfs curr1_input

The best solution for me would be a file in sysfs that I could just expose the float from my register (like curr1_input_float), this solution has two benefits for me:

- I wouldn't need to convert my internal float to int
- This would give the best precision that I can have from my hardware

The value could be exposed as a 32bit hex string, like 0x349c3abc.

So, how should I proceed with this ?

A hex string would be really bad; userspace (generic) would not know what to do with it.

You could on purpose violate the ABI and report the current in nano-Amps with currX_input
(properly documented). This way the sensors command would still work after proper
adjustments in /etc/sensors3.conf. If the current sense resistor is configurable,
you could also not tell me at all and assume a current sense resistor which is
1,000,000 times larger than the one you actually use (after all, currency is
usually measured as voltage loss over a current sense resistor).

Another possibility would be to add a curr1_input_na attribute, but I would prefer
the above mechanism.

Guenter