Re: [libgpiod][RFC] helper functions for basic use cases

On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 4:21 AM Kent Gibson <warthog618@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Bart,
>
> I realise you want to keep libgpiod minimal, but in my latest survey of the
> problems that new or potential users are finding with libgpiod the most
> common one was that it is way too complicated to do simple things.
> They just want to request an input or output line and play with it.
> They think that should be an easy thing to do, and will completely write
> off libgpiod because it is not - the learning curve is too steep.
> And they have a point.
>
> I've raised this before, but I think libgpiod is in need of a small (and I
> emphasize small) set of helper functions to simplify basic use cases,
> like just requesting a single input or output line.  Maybe functions to
> control setting bias, edge detection and debounce on inputs (using
> reconfigure after the initial request).
> The functions would be separated from the existing functions by naming,
> e.g. gpiod_helper_XXX, or some such, so there would be no confusion with
> the existing.
>
> Any chance your position has changed since last I asked?

Ugh... I really don't want the core libgpiod to grow... This sounds
like the old ctxless stuff that was awkward and I removed it in v2.

Do you think that users actually use it (core C libgpiod)? I would
think they stick to python and C++? Would providing the GLib bindings
help in this case? We could extend that no problem. Or maybe a
separate helper library linked against libgpiod but also existing kind
of adjacent to it?

Bart