GPIOLIB locking is broken and how to fix it

Hi!

I've been scratching my head over it for a couple days and I wanted to
pick your brains a bit.

The existing locking in GPIOLIB is utterly broken. We have a global
spinlock that "protects" the list of GPIO devices but also the
descriptor objects (and who knows what else). I put "protects" in
quotation marks because the spinlock is released and re-acquired in
several places where the code needs to call functions that can
possibly sleep. I don't have to tell you it makes the spinlock useless
and doesn't protect anything.

An example of that is gpiod_request_commit() where in the time between
releasing the lock in order to call gc->request() and acquiring it
again, gpiod_free_commit() can be called, thus undoing a part of the
changes we just introduced in the first part of this function. We'd
then return from gc->request() and continue acting like we've just
requested the GPIO leading to undefined behavior.

There are more instances of this pattern. This seems to be a way to
work around the fact that we have GPIO API functions that can be
called from atomic context (gpiod_set/get_value(),
gpiod_direction_input/output(), etc.) that in their implementation
call driver callbacks that may as well sleep (gc->set(),
gc->direction_output(), etc.).

Protecting the list of GPIO devices is simple. It should be a mutex as
the list should never be modified from atomic context. This can be
easily factored out right now. Protecting GPIO descriptors is
trickier. If we use a spinlock for that, we'll run into problems with
GPIO drivers that can sleep. If we use a mutex, we'll have a problem
with users calling GPIO functions from atomic context.

One idea I have is introducing a strict limit on which functions can
be used from atomic context (we don't enforce anything ATM in
functions that don't have the _cansleep suffix in their names) and
check which parts of the descriptor struct they modify. Then protect
these parts with a spinlock in very limited critical sections. Have a
mutex for everything else that can only be accessed from process
context.

Another one is introducing strict APIs like gpiod_set_value_atomic()
that'll be designed to be called from atomic context exclusively and
be able to handle it. Everything else must only be called from process
context. This of course would be a treewide change as we'd need to
modify all GPIO calls in interrupt handlers.

I'd like to hear your ideas as this change is vital before we start
protecting gdev->chip with SRCU in all API calls.

Bart