Re: I2C, SPI, etc for libgpiod

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 5:47 PM Hank Barta <hbarta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been fooling around with libgpiod on Debian (not R-Pi OS) and am
> fairly comfortable using the APIs it provides. I haven't finished that
> exploration yet, but looking ahead, I'm curious about usage of some of
> the alternate GPIO capabilities aside from reading and setting inputs
> and outputs. I haven't seen anything about those in the information I
> find for https://libgpiod.readthedocs.io or
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libgpiod/libgpiod.git/.
>
> Is there support for these alternate functions or is that something on
> someone's TODO list? Are there other libraries or APIs that I can use?
>
> I've used WiringPi on R-Pi OS but that project seems to be foundering.
>
> Thanks!
>
> NB: I'm stupidly/bravely sharing my efforts in this direction at
> https://github.com/HankB/GPIOD_Debian_Raspberry_Pi
>
> --
> Beautiful Sunny Winfield

Is your question: will libgpiod support other pin functions for GPIOs?
If so then: no, it will not. It's not a tool that allows you to change
pin settings - it merely wraps the linux character device uAPI in a
set of functions.

It's the kernel's job to do pin control and there are other user-space
tools for I2C and SPI available, libgpiod is only for GPIOs.

Bart