Re: GPIO static allocation warning with v6.2-rcX

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:19:11AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 7:33 PM Robert Schwebel
> <r.schwebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > While this could also be done with a daemon offering a dbus api, this
> > would be significantly more complex. In a critical environment, one
> > needs to make sure that the daemon process never fails, otherwhise the
> > power of the DuT would maybe be in a random state. Then of course one
> > can add a watchdog, but with the current sysfs interface it's really
> > simple. Of course that would also work if the new interface would offer
> > a "keep this line as it is" feature, but adding a dbus daemon just for
> > keeping the state of a pin sounds overcomplex when the kernel could also
> > provide that functionality.
>
> One issue we face as developers is scaleability. Things that
> seem straight forward on a single board computer in a lab get
> really complex in a big system with man GPIO chips.

This is the point where the discussion took a wrong turn.

Yes, there is awareness that the sysfs API has a downside (here: on some
platforms the number allocation is not stable).

But the problem here is that the alternative (i.e. using the newer
devctrl API) also has a downside that makes it unsuitable (or overly
complex) to use for some workflows.

Just an idea: Wouldn't a nice solution be to make it possible to opt-out
of the reset to the safe state after use?

Best regards
Uwe

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |