Re: Confused as to what is going on with libgpiod v2

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 4:55 PM Thomas Williams
<thomas.hugo.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, horribly newbie questions and if I should be asking it
> somewhere else then please tell me.

Hi Thomas! No, that's perfectly fine.

> 1. Have there been any releases of libgpiod v2 ? I can't see any tags
> in the git repo later than v1.6.

Nope, libgpiod v2 is under development and will probably still be so
for a while.

> 2. What branch is libgpiod v2 development occurring on ? I'm guessing
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libgpiod/libgpiod.git/log/?h=next/libgpiod-2.0
> but the last thing there is a huge change-set marked WIP that doesn't
> seem to fit with the previous practice of smaller change-sets (NOT A
> CRITICISM).

Yeah so libgpiod v2 will have an entirely rewritten (backward
incompatible) API. In order to keep the git history bisectable, we'll
replace most of the library in one go. As to that particular branch -
I wanted it to store one big patch but after some discussion, it will
now be incremental and all new patches will get squashed right before
merging into master.

> 3. What is this branch:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libgpiod/libgpiod.git/log/?h=next/post-libgpiod-2.0
> ?

Some patches queued for later when we merge libgpiod-2.0 into master.

> 4. Should I even be trying to use libgpiod v2 yet ?

Probably not, unless you have a good reason to (writing bindings or
whatever). It's not yet stable and is about to change again soon.

> Best wishes,
>
> Tom Williams

Bart