Re: gpiolib sysfs access when CONFIG_GPIO_CDEV is not set

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 6:27 PM Nicolas Schichan <nschichan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have tracked it to the fact that I have CONFIG_GPIO_CDEV is disabled in
> my kernel config: Enabling CONFIG_GPIO_CDEV made export work again.

We have deliberately made it hard to remove the character device
because we want to encourage people to use it.

> Yes, we have no users of the character device gpio interface on our
> platform, so I have disabled it explicitly when updating the defconfig
> to the 5.10-rc1 kernel.

Please consider getting users of the character device, since if they
are using the sysfs they are using an explicitly obsoleted interface.

Yours,
Linus Walleij