Re: [RFC] gpio: expose pull-up/pull-down line flags to userspace

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:22 AM Bartosz Golaszewski <brgl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The config ioctl (or
> something similar) you're mentioning may appear sooner actually -
> users of libgpiod have been requesting a way of changing the direction
> of a line without releasing it - something that's possible in the
> kernel, but not from user-space at the moment. I'll submit something
> that allows to change the configuration of a requested line soon.

Hm! I guess I assumed that userspace users would be using the lines
for either input or output, not complex use cases like that, reversing
direction and what not.

What kind of usecase is this? I certainly hope nothing like doing
userspace drivers for complex hardware ... those should be in
the kernel... the current ABI is a bit oriented around industrial
automation and prototyping use cases.

Yours,
Linus Walleij