Re: linux-next regression caused by "gpiolib: request the gpio before querying its direction"

On 8/30/17 4:24 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
Therefore, with Timur's commit applied, when the system boots, we get
serial output, up to the point where gpiochip_add_data() is called, and
requests all GPIOs. Since our UART pins are not requested at the
pinctrl level, the gpio_request succeeds and re-muxes those pins as
GPIOs: we lose the UART.

This part I don't understand. My patch just only impacts the code that queries the direction of the GPIO. It does not set the direction.

When gpiochip_add_data() calls chip->request, what function is that calling?

The only thing I can think of is that the ->request function is not just returning status, but is also muxing the GPIO. If so, then I think that's a bug.

The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the
Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation.