Re: GPIO character device next steps

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/04/16 19:32, Linus Walleij wrote:
>>
>> As you know we froze the GPIO sysfs ABI in kernel v4.6 and
>> now we need to complete its replacement with a new mechanism
>> using the character device.
>
> Does it actually make sense to replace it?  Or rather extend
> it via the chardev. I've not really been following the discussion
> though if you've already addressed this.

We're freezing it. It can be used in parallel for the foreseeable
future but the chardev is default-enabled in order to make people
prefer that, the sysfs (/sys/class/gpio) needs to be turned on
explicitly.

The sysfs is a sad story because it is completely stateless, i.e.
we have no clue of knowing if a userspace process is actually
alive and using a certain GPIO or not, there is nothing that closes
it down if the consumer dies etc.

>> - Give them consumer names from userspace (label who's
>>   using this GPIO)
>
> Useful to what?  What is going to read this info? (debugfs?)

Also lsgpio, also the kernel can print "I can's use GPIO n just
right now because a userspace consumer is using it for <string>"
we just chose the model to name both ends of the
GPIO line, the producer and the consumer. The producer and
consumer can both label their end.

Of course I could just hard-code all userspace consumers as
the string "userspace" if people prefer that.

>> - Getting a filehandle to listen to input events (interrupts) from a
>>   certain GPIO line. Here I am primarily thinking about something
>>   akin to IIO's event mechanism using poll() which I like a lot.
>
> We don't support multiple listeners in IIO.  Maybe some combination
> of that and evdev which spins off a separate fifo for each listener.

Yes people were talking about evdev as a good example of
how to do this. I will have to look into that code, it seems like
a good idea.

>> I'm thinking about staying with a single open() on the chardev
>> from userspace, but several processes can open handles, then
>> we need to use an ioctl() to say what we want from this
>> filehandle: whether a handle on a few GPIO lines or a polled
>> event.
>
> Perhaps use anonymous file handles for each case.  So the exposed
> chardev is simply there for configuration of what others will do.
> Then you can have an ioctl to get an anonymous file handle for each of
> (with the appropriate description of what it is handling).

Sounds about right. Can you point me to a place where anonymous
file handles are delivered out from the kernel?

> * Read multiple inputs
> * Write multiple outputs
>
> (for both of these are you distinguishing between cases where you an guarantee
> they happen simultaneously and others where they are just close in time?
> Makes a huge difference in some cases obviously - such as reading from a parallel
> ADC - or writing to a DAC).

What happens in practice is that if the back-end supports
the .set_multiple() callback, and it turns out that it can be
performed by a single register write or so, then it will happen
simultaneously. Else the kernel will issue individual .set()
calls.

We have no .get_multiple(). Maybe one day someone will
implement it :/

> * Events - though that could probably be shared with a read multiple inputs
> chardev - or maybe not if it's about different pins...
>
> Re reading above I guess you may already mean this by one file for multiple
> things?

I guess
one filehandle for reading n GPIOs
one filehandle for writing/toggling n GPIOs
one event filehandler for getting events from one GPIO

Each which will relase its GPIO[s] at close.

>> We want to be mutually exclusive to processes when getting
>> pins for output, while making it possible for several clients
>> to read the same line or subscribe to events from the same
>> line.
>
> Are you thinking one file descriptor for one pin (for events) or
> handling more complex registrations?  I can see the infrastructure
> for this getting rapidly complex.

No just one FD for one GPIO line for events. Else it's
going to get hopeless.

> Could do it with irq_chips like we do in IIO triggers - so you can
> have one irq fire multiple listening devices...

TBH I never quite wrapped my head around that forked irqchip
thing, it scares the living daylights out of me. Its like a virtual irqchip
and there it looses me.

> I've been thinking about how to handle logic analyzer type
> inputs in IIO for a while.

A logic analyzer seems like a pretty extreme case of general
purpose input, does it not?

> One example is beaglelogic with it's around
> 100MHz sampling of 8 channels, It might be interesting to use some of
> this same gpio infrastructure to play around with the ideas (though probably
> not the actual beaglelogic data flows - that will need some large block transfer
> tricks) - particularly once you have nice functions to feed sets of gpios
> from arbitrary locations out on a read.
>
> Clearly there would be some overlap, but I doubt you'll get into the
> complexity of triggered captures etc here or at least not without jumping
> to userspace and back again.  Some gpio chips do support this sort of
> sampling, but I suspect they aren't going to be found in many 'normal'
> systems. (e.g. an input bank latch on event).
>
> Anyhow, this was really just a request to keep any data handling/merging
> infrastructure nicely separated from the front end bit spitting it out of
> a chardev as there are/may be other usecases.

Hm I'll CC you on the patches when we get there and you can tell
me what to split out in its own .c/.h file :)

I can easily see people setting up systems that will use a bunch of
GPIOs alongside a bunch of sensors or DAC/ADCs so I hope for the
GPIO and IIO worlds to stay close.

Yours,
Linus Walleij