Re: Fw: [3.18.3] poll() on gpio pins broken

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It really comes down to how user-space wants to access GPIOs. I
> suspect the majority of sysfs accesses is done by scripts and other
> simple programs. If we introduce a char device that takes requires
> ioctls, it is then customary to add a small user-space library to
> abstract that (for both convenience and safety - think libdrm). Do we
> want to maintain libgpio?

Good point.

We have no clue about how the majority out there use the GPIO
sysfs, but I have heard of mission-critical systems just hammering
GPIOs from userspace.

Sadly many of these industrial users are "I just want it to work, now"
types and they don't step forward much on these mailing lists.
(Learned from private conversations...)

Maybe if noone voice their opinion and offer to help with this, we can
assume they don't exist (well obviously a community does not exist)
and their specific needs be ignored until they put their money where
their mouth is.

Yours,
Linus Walleij