Re: sysfs: wait for GPIO interrupt

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Yegor Yefremov
<yegorslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> It would be nice if Yegor can give more details about the device that
>> are using those GPIO and what he wants to achieve from user-space to
>> see if an existing device driver can be used or in any case if a
>> generic driver can be written like is done for GPIO leds, keys, etc.
>
> Let's take VScom Alekto 2 (http://www.visionsystems.de/produkte/6820.html).

This seems like a quite straight-forward single-board computer not
much unlike e.g. the BeagleBoard or similar.

> It has a combi RS232/422/485 driver IC, that has 4 configuration
> inputs to set one of the desired modes.

Do you mean it can configure the pins into one of
these four modes:

RS232: TxD,RxD, RTS,CTS, DTR,DSR, DCD, RI, GND
RS422: Tx+/-, Rx+/-, GND
RS485 2−wire: Data+/-, GND
RS485 4−wire: Tx+/-, Rx+/-, GND

> These pins are connected via
> GPIOs (SoC GPIOs or i2c GPIO expander doesn't matter). The user can
> configure these option at run-time.

But the above, if I understand correctly are by definition NOT GPIO
at *all*.

GPIO means "general purpose input output", i.e. something that
can emit low/high signals (GPIO out) or read them (GPIO in).

This looks much more like 9 pins that can be configured into
one of four mission modes, corresponding to one of four
serial port types, and that is pin multiplexing not GPIO.

> Now he can make it via sysfs by
> exporting these GPIOs, setting them to output and changing their
> values. What would be the proper kernel driver/interface for this
> purpose.

Something or other in the TTY/serial layer which may have
special features for configuring this from user space.
I'm not an expert on that part of the kernel so ask around on
the linux-serial list.

If there needs to be a pin control driver inbetween dealing
with just the registers handling the multiplexing of pins,
then surely the serial layer can use that, but that sounds very
complex for this usecase.

I think the serial subsystem would be handling this?

> It also has an IO connector with configurable inputs and outputs. The
> problem here it has somewhat complicated structure, because you can
> switch direction of the IO pins but this involves enabling/disabling
> some hardware ICs.

This is quite common and straight-forward GPIO. If we have the
datasheet of how to actually program the hardware we can
say more about how this should be done.

> The whole mechanism is  hidden from user through a
> library, but the library itself is still using sysfs.

Not a sysfs and library designed by the kernel community
I suspect?

> As for simple designs where the direction of the pins is fixed the
> keys driver can be used for inputs, what were the proper driver for
> outputs (relays etc.)?

Relays is actually one of those cases when userspace control
over GPIOs make a lot of sense. We certainly cannot have a
kernel driver for every factory line in the world for example.

But I want to identify and isolate such use cases. Very often
input, leds, PWM etc is what is actually desired.

Yours,
Linus Walleij