Re: Orangefs, v4.5 and the merge window...

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 01:36:04PM -0400, Mike Marshall wrote:
> This is harder than going upstream <g>...
>
> I think I'm doing the same thing greg kh did here, only he
> figured it out (and didn't say how he did it right)...
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/1/293
>
> I made a tag, and...
>
> $ git request-pull for-next
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hubcap/linux.git
> ofs-pull-tag-1
> The following changes since commit 45996492e5c85aa0ac93a95d1b2d1ed56851c865:
>
>   orangefs: fix orangefs_superblock locking (2016-03-26 07:22:00 -0400)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hubcap/linux.git
> tags/ofs-pull-tag-1
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 45996492e5c85aa0ac93a95d1b2d1ed56851c865:
>
>   orangefs: fix orangefs_superblock locking (2016-03-26 07:22:00 -0400)

Oh, for...  The point is, *don't* *trim* *diffstat* *and* *shortlog*.  For
your branch that should've been as below and it belongs in pull request,
preferably - with [git pull] somewhere in the subject.  The lines from
dashes below to the end of this reply should have been produced by
git request-pull and should've been a part of your posting.

Al Viro (67):
      orangefs: explicitly pass the size to pvfs_bufmap_copy_to_iovec()
      pvfs_bufmap_copy_from_iovec(): don't rely upon size being equal to iov_iter_count(iter)
      orangefs: make postcopy_buffers() take iov_iter
      orangefs: make precopy_buffers() take iov_iter
      orangefs: make wait_for_direct_io() take iov_iter
      orangefs: don't bother with splitting iovecs
      orangefs: make do_readv_writev() take iov_iter
      orangefs: make pvfs2_inode_read() take iov_iter
      orangefs: kill kmap/kunmap wrappers
      orangefs: use get_user_pages_fast(), not get_user_pages()
      orangefs: double iput() in case of d_make_root() failure
      orangefs: kill struct pvfs2_mount_sb_info_s
      pvfs2_fill_sb(): use kzalloc()
      orangefs: kill pointless ->link() and ->mknod()
      orangefs: sanitize pvfs2_convert_time_field()
      orangefs: switch decode_dirents() to use of kcalloc()
      orangefs: get rid of dec_string and enc_string
      orangefs: don't leave uninitialized data in ->trailer_buf
      orangefs: validate the response in decode_dirents()
      fs: out of bounds on stack in iov_iter_advance
      orangefs: use DEFINE_MUTEX (and mutex_init() had been too late)
      orangefs: generic_file_open() is pointless for character devices
      orangefs: ->poll() is only called between successful ->open() and ->release()
      orangefs: kill ioctl32 rudiments
      orangefs: ->poll() doesn't need spinlock
      orangefs: get rid of <censored> macros
      orangefs: kill orangefs_inode_s ->list
      make orangefs_clean_up_interrupted_operation() static
      orangefs: make wait_for_...downcall() static
      orangefs: move wakeups into set_op_state_{serviced,purged}()
      orangefs: make wait_for_...downcall() static
      orangefs: move wakeups into set_op_state_{serviced,purged}()
      orangefs: nothing should remain in request list and in hash
      orangefs: make sure that reopening pvfs2-req won't overlap with the end of close
      orangefs: hopefully saner op refcounting and locking
      orangefs: remove cargo-culting spin_lock_irqsave() in service_operation()
      orangefs: reduce nesting in wait_for_matching_downcall()
      orangefs_clean_up_interrupted_operation: call with op->lock held
      orangefs: get rid of MSECS_TO_JIFFIES
      if ORANGEFS_VFS_OP_FILE_IO request had been given up, don't bother waiting
      orangefs: don't reinvent completion.h...
      orangefs: move handle_io_error() to file.c
      orangefs: clean up op_alloc()
      orangefs: avoid freeing a slot twice in wait_for_direct_io()
      orangefs: wait_for_direct_io(): restore the position in iter when restarting
      orangefs: get rid of handle_io_error()
      get rid of bufmap argument of orangefs_bufmap_put()
      orangefs: delay freeing slot until cancel completes
      orangefs: get rid of loop in wait_for_matching_downcall()
      orangefs: sanitize handling of request list
      service_operation(): don't block signals, just use ..._killable
      orangefs: lift handling of timeouts and attempts count to service_operation()
      orangefs_bufmap_..._query(): don't bother with refcounts
      orangefs: bufmap rewrite
      orangefs_readdir_index_put(): get rid of bufmap argument
      orangefs: get rid of op->done
      orangefs: set correct ->downcall.status on failing to copy reply from daemon
      orangefs: have ..._clean_interrupted_...() wait for copy to/from daemon
      orangefs: get rid of op refcounts
      orangefs: get rid of readdir_handle_s
      orangefs_copy_{to,from}_bufmap(): don't pass bufmap pointer
      orangefs: saner calling conventions for getting a slot
      orangefs-bufmap.h: trim unused junk
      orangefs: sanitize ->llseek()
      orangefs: have ->kill_sb() evict the VFS side of things first
      orangefs: fix do_readv_writev() handling of error halfway through
      orangefs: fix orangefs_superblock locking

Arnd Bergmann (3):
      orangefs: fix typo in ornagefs_inode_lock
      orangefs: avoid time conversion function
      orangefs: remove unused 'diff' function

Guenter Roeck (1):
      Orangefs: Swap order of include files

Julia Lawall (1):
      OrangeFS: constify export_operations structures

Martin Brandenburg (40):
      Orangefs: Use readonly mmap since writepage is not implemented.
      Orangefs: Clean up error decoding.
      Orangefs: Remove unused #defines from signal blocking code.
      Orangefs: Remove upcall trailers which are not used.
      Orangefs: Clean up pvfs2_devreq_read.
      Orangefs: do not finalize bufmap if it was never initialized.
      orangefs: Remove ``aligned'' upcall and downcall length macros.
      orangefs: Change visibility of several bufmap helpers to static.
      orangefs: Remove useless inline qualifier from bufmap functions.
      orangefs: Do not unref if there is no bufmap.
      orangefs: Fix some more global namespace pollution.
      orangefs: Util functions shouldn't operate on inode where it can be avoided.
      orangefs: Fix revalidate.
      orangefs: Only compare attributes specified in orangefs_inode_getattr.
      orangefs: Implement inode_operations->permission().
      orangefs: Do not retrieve size from servers unless it it necessary.
      orangefs: use S_ISREG(mode) and friends instead of mode & S_IFREG.
      orangefs: free readdir buffer index before the dir_emit loop
      orangefs: don't d_drop in d_revalidate since the caller will
      orangefs: use ORANGEFS_NAME_LEN everywhere; remove ORANGEFS_NAME_MAX
      orangefs: remove vestigial async io code
      orangefs: we never lookup with sym_follow set
      orangefs: clean up fill_default_sys_attrs
      orangefs: Avoid symlink upcall if target is too long.
      orangefs: make fs_mount_pending static
      orangefs: remove unused reference to xattr key length
      orangefs: sanitize listxattr and return EIO on impossible values
      orangefs: remove paranoia in orangefs_set_inode
      orangefs: put register_chrdev immediately before register_filesystem
      orangefs: remove inode->i_lock wrapper
      orangefs: rename orangefs_inode_getattr to orangefs_inode_old_getattr
      orangefs: use new orangefs_inode_getattr to create new inodes
      orangefs: use new orangefs_inode_getattr to get size in write and llseek
      orangefs: use new getattr in inode getattr and permission
      orangefs: use new getattr for revalidate and remove old getattr
      orangefs: refactor inode type or link_target change detection
      orangefs: remove wrapper around mutex_lock(&inode->i_mutex)
      orangefs: remove needless wrapper around GFP_KERNEL
      orangefs: move code which sets i_link to orangefs_inode_getattr
      ornagefs: ensure that truncate has an up to date inode size

Mike Marshall (61):
      Orangefs: kernel client part 1
      Orangefs: kernel client part 2
      Orangefs: kernel client part 3
      Orangefs: kernel client part 4
      Orangefs: kernel client part 5
      Orangefs: kernel client part 6
      Orangefs: kernel client part 7
      Orangefs: kernel client update 1.
      Orangefs: sooth most sparse complaints
      Orangefs: address problems found by static checker
      Orangefs: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type
      Orangefs: use inode_set_bytes for directories
      Orangefs: use iov_iter interface
      Orangefs: fix dir_emit code in pvfs2_readdir.
      Orangefs: put PVFS_util_min out of its misery.
      Orangefs: choose return codes from among the expected ones.
      Orangefs: Don't opencode memcpy.
      Orangefs: update signal blocking code before Oleg sees it.
      Orangefs: don't use mount_nodev, use sget directly.
      Orangefs: fix some checkpatch.pl complaints that had creeped in.
      Orangefs: set pos after generic_write_checks
      Orangefs: fix gossip statement
      Orangefs: Merge tag 'v4.4-rc1' into for-next
      Orangefs: change pvfs2 filenames to orangefs
      Orangefs: don't expose internal details of pathname resolution to userspace.
      Orangefs: don't keep checking stuff in on Friday afternoon.
      Orangefs: improve comments
      Orangef: remove overlooked old-style userspace debug parts
      Orangefs: de-uglify orangefs_devreq_writev, and devorangefs-req.c in general
      Orangefs: Don't wait the old-fashioned way.
      Orangefs: don't use deprecated xattr defines.
      Orangefs: validate resp.listxattr.returned_count
      Orangefs: don't change EXTRAVERSION
      Orangefs: don't trigger copy_attributes_to_inode from d_revalidate.
      Orangefs: add orangefs to MAINTAINERS
      Orangefs: implement .write_iter
      Orangefs: rename orangefs_kernel_op_s.aio_ref_count to just ref_count.
      Orangefs: change ORANGEFS_VERSION from "Unknown" to "upstream"
      Orangefs: define a minimum compatible userspace version.
      Orangefs: make .statfs gossip_debug more complete.
      Orangefs: add protocol information to Documentation/filesystems/orangefs.txt
      Orangefs: add verification to decode_dirents
      Orangefs: merge with V4.4
      Orangefs: make gossip statement more palatable to xtensa
      Orangefs: improve gossip statement
      Orangefs: clean up slab allocation.
      Orangefs: added a couple of WARN_ONs, perhaps just temporarily.
      Orangefs: make some gossip statements more helpful.
      Orangefs: remove vestigial ASYNC code
      Orangefs: clean up orangefs_kernel_op_s comments.
      Orangefs: code sanitation
      Orangefs: code sanitation.
      Orangefs: update orangefs.txt
      Orangefs: improve gossip statements
      Orangefs: add a new gossip statement
      Orangefs: improve the POSIXness of interrupted writes...
      Orangefs: merge to v4.5
      Orangefs: Extra sanity insurance on buffer before using string functions on it.
      Orangefs: follow_link -> get_link change
      Orangefs: fix sloppy cleanups of debugfs and sysfs init failures.
      Orangefs: adjust unwind on module init failure.

Nicholas Mc Guire (1):
      Orangefs: use kzalloc for kmalloc + memset 0

Richard Weinberger (1):
      orangefs: Don't pollute global namespace

Sasha Levin (1):
      fs: orangefs: remove execute priviliges from module params

Yi Liu (1):
      OrangeFS: Change almost all instances of the string PVFS2 to OrangeFS.

 Documentation/ABI/stable/sysfs-fs-orangefs |   87 ++
 Documentation/filesystems/orangefs.txt     |  406 +++++++
 MAINTAINERS                                |    8 +
 fs/Kconfig                                 |    1 +
 fs/Makefile                                |    1 +
 fs/orangefs/Kconfig                        |    6 +
 fs/orangefs/Makefile                       |   10 +
 fs/orangefs/acl.c                          |  175 +++
 fs/orangefs/dcache.c                       |  138 +++
 fs/orangefs/devorangefs-req.c              |  943 +++++++++++++++
 fs/orangefs/dir.c                          |  400 +++++++
 fs/orangefs/downcall.h                     |  133 +++
 fs/orangefs/file.c                         |  717 +++++++++++
 fs/orangefs/inode.c                        |  475 ++++++++
 fs/orangefs/namei.c                        |  462 ++++++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-bufmap.c              |  556 +++++++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-bufmap.h              |   36 +
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-cache.c               |  161 +++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debug.h               |   92 ++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debugfs.c             |  455 +++++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debugfs.h             |    3 +
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-dev-proto.h           |   62 +
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-kernel.h              |  623 ++++++++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-mod.c                 |  293 +++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-sysfs.c               | 1772 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-sysfs.h               |    2 +
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-utils.c               | 1048 ++++++++++++++++
 fs/orangefs/protocol.h                     |  452 +++++++
 fs/orangefs/super.c                        |  559 +++++++++
 fs/orangefs/symlink.c                      |   19 +
 fs/orangefs/upcall.h                       |  246 ++++
 fs/orangefs/waitqueue.c                    |  357 ++++++
 fs/orangefs/xattr.c                        |  545 +++++++++
 33 files changed, 11243 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ABI/stable/sysfs-fs-orangefs
 create mode 100644 Documentation/filesystems/orangefs.txt
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/Makefile
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/acl.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/dcache.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/devorangefs-req.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/dir.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/downcall.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/file.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/inode.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/namei.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-bufmap.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-bufmap.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-cache.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debug.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debugfs.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-debugfs.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-dev-proto.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-kernel.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-mod.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-sysfs.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-sysfs.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/orangefs-utils.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/protocol.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/super.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/symlink.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/upcall.h
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/waitqueue.c
 create mode 100644 fs/orangefs/xattr.c