Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM ATTEND] block: multipage bvecs

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 04:44:49PM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> Just create one branch for multipage bvecs:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ming/linux.git/log/?h=v4.5-rc-multipage-bvecs-early

Can you send out a few of the prep patches ASAP?  E.g. the
BIO_MAX_SECTORS and BIO_MAX_SIZE removal.

I really don't like the _mp / _sp naming for the iteratators,
I think they should have a _page and _segment in the name instead,
and preferably done in a way that breaks compilation for old code,
e.g. never reuse the old names.

I also think it would be really useful to convert bio bounce and raid1
(and generally everything bio based) to deal with multi-page biovecs
instead of making it opt-in.

> 1) converting bio_for_each_segment() to *_rd() and *_wt()
>
> - this change should be a mechanical thing

I don't think the short prefix naming is very useful.  I'd also
like to understand where the need for thee comes from, as this
didn't appear in Kent's patches.  Better documentation of them
would be very useful.

> 2) cleanup on direct access to .bi_io_vec and .bi_vcnt from btrfs,
> dm, bcache, ...
>
> - this kind of work may take some time to do
> - most of them are in btrfs

Removing access to these from outside the core block code would be
a very useful patchset on it's own, so I' dsuggest to finish that
before continuing on the rest of the series.