[LSF/MM ATTEND] Request to attend / topics

Hi, I humbly request to attend the 2016 LSF/MM summit.

As for my qualifications, I have been working on the Linux kernel for over a
decade now mostly on filesystems. I am part of the filesystem team at SUSE.

Aside from maintaining the Ocfs2 cluster filesystem (first of it's kind in
our kernel), I have contributed bugfixes and features to btrfs. This is just
a short list:
 - extended inode refs
 - dedupe ioctl
 - helped to fix quota groups on more than one occasion

Within SUSE, I've worked on XFS and NFS as well (mostly bugfixing).

I authored the FIEMAP implementation we have in the VFS. This work actually
came directly out of an LSF (I forget the year but I remember some handouts
with ponies on them :)

I have a project to provide the userspace portion of our btrfs dedupe
implmentation at https://github.com/markfasheh/duperemove . It interacts
very heavily with the underlying filesystem, making it also relevant to the
topic of this conference.

This year I would in particular like to lead a discussion about how we can
expose extent ownership to userspace. This is important to some of my work
on duperemove - we want to be able to identify which blocks within a file
are shared, and whom they are shared with. Without this information
duperemove will do a lot of additional work when deduping files that share
blocks. Backup software can have similar issues as well - if I'm backing up
3 files that have been reflinked, I don't want to store 3x the blocks.

This needs to be done at a higher level than the fs module (like FIEMAP
was) - we already have two filesystems that support reflink. Speaking of
FIEMAP, in many ways I feel this is the 'next step' in terms of revealing
extent state to userspace.

Thanks,
        --Mark

--