Re: Orangefs ABI documentation

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 09:34:12AM -0500, Mike Marshall wrote:
>  > Objections?
>
> Heck no... I've been trying to keep from changing the protocol so as to
> avoid making a whole nother project out of keeping the out-of-tree
> Frankenstein version of the kernel module going, but getting this version
> of the kernel module upstream and getting it infused with ideas from you
> depth-of-knowledge folks is the real goal here.
>
> You're talking about changing orangefs_kernel_op_s (pvfs2_kernel_op_t
> out of tree) and it doesn't cross the boundary into userspace... even if
> it did, that "completion" structure looks like it has been been around
> as long as any of the Linux versions we try to run on...

OK.  While we are at it...  Remember the question about the need for devreq
->write_iter() to wait wait_for_direct_io() to finish copying the data
from slots to final destination?  You said that removing that wait ends up
with daemon somehow stomping on those slots and I wonder if that was
another effect of that double-free bug.

Could you try, on top of those fixes, comment the entire
        if (op->downcall.type == ORANGEFS_VFS_OP_FILE_IO) {
                long n = wait_for_completion_interruptible_timeout(&op->done,
                                                        op_timeout_secs * HZ);
                if (unlikely(n < 0)) {
                        gossip_debug(GOSSIP_DEV_DEBUG,
                                "%s: signal on I/O wait, aborting\n",
                                __func__);
                } else if (unlikely(n == 0)) {
                        gossip_debug(GOSSIP_DEV_DEBUG,
                                "%s: timed out.\n",
                                __func__);
                }
        }
in orangefs_devreq_write_iter() out and see if the corruption happens?