Re: question: should io_is_direct really return true for DAX inodes?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 04:37:36AM +0900, Dan Williams wrote:
> [ reply-all re-send, sorry for the duplicate Jeff. ]
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm concerned that applications that used to run out of page cache will
> > experience a performance degradation when being forced into doing I/O
> > directly to the backing store.  What do others think?
>
> I would think this is only a problem in the case where the media is
> orders of magnitude slower than page cache.  That isn't the case with
> pmem.

If you're really concerned, I'm addressing this on XFS by making DAX
per-inode selectable (i.e the mount option needs to die). In which
case, users can have the best of both worlds - files marked as DAX
use DAX/direct IO, files that aren't marked can cache and suffer the
lower performance that all that page allocation, dirty tracking and
writeback via memcpy entails..

Cheers,

Dave.
--