Re: size limit of extended attributes

On 2015-04-30 at 08:38 -0400 Trond Myklebust sent off:
> It's going to be a real treat watching Samba write a 16TB memory
> buffer using the xattr API.

you might have fun watching that but this is not really relevant for my
question :-)

> Why can't you work around this by using the xattr as a symlink-like
> object that points to the real stored data? That way you also have
> available the file semantics that you need in order to write these
> large objects.

because that wouldn't be connected to the file any more. It would also have to
be outside the filesystem tree. Moving files on the command line without Samba
would become impossible also. We don't want to implement crude hacks like this,
this is why I ask for removing the size limit in the kernel instead. To get a
proposal for a crude hack for Samba, there would be no need to talk about it on
fsdevel.

> Trying to squeeze an API for subfiles into the xattr API is a dead end.

depends. Works quite well on Solaris. But I didn't ask for that API anyway.

The actual question, which you did not touch at all was:

Can we get rid of the 64k size limit for EAs? The API on AIX is the same as on
Linux.  But there is a huge size limit - which would help us already a lot.

Björn
  ☎ +49-551-370000-0, ℻ +49-551-370000-9