Re: [RFC] Per-file compression

Am 20.04.2015 um 16:53 schrieb Tyler Hicks:
> On 2015-04-18 17:07:16, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> This, I'm afraid, is the biggest obstacle to such a solution.  I know that
>>> OverlayFS has been merged, so filesystem stacking is acceptable.  Perhaps
>>> there would be a way to design a filesystem that stacks compression?
>>
>> That's why I said think of adding compression support to ecryptfs.
>
> I think adding compression support to eCryptfs is the wrong approach.
> The "X is already a stacked filesystem so look into adding compression
> support to it" logic also works when X=overlayfs. I doubt that Miklos
> would be willing to accept such a feature. :)

My thought was that compression is not far away from crypto an hence
a lot of ecryptfs could be reused.

> A stacked filesystem that implements compression should be fairly
> simple. If it is not simple, it is too complicated to try to wedge into
> an unrelated stacked filesystem.
>
> While it may be the quickest route to your end goal, it will overly
> complicate eCryptfs. eCryptfs already has plenty of complexity around
> the file offset since metadata may be stored in the first 8192 bytes of
> the lower file, which offsets the entire file, and the end of the file
> has to be padded. Mixing in compression would make things much worse.

I assumed that you need also some meta data for compression.
At least if you do it in a non-trivial way.

> Also, eCryptfs has lots of cruft that is definitely not needed for
> compression.

As you're the maintainer of ecryptfs you know obviously better than I do. :)
Tom, to make the story short, you'll have to experiment a bit.

Thanks,
//richard