Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Working towards better power fail testing

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 11:13:28AM -0800, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2015, Brian Foster wrote:

> > > I have a related topic that may make sense to fit into any discussion
> > > about this. Twice recently we've run into trouble using newish or less
> > > common (combinations of) syscalls.
> > >
> > > The first instance was with the use of sync_file_range to try to
> > > control/limit the amount of dirty data in the page cache.  This, possibly
> > > in combination with posix_fadvise(DONTNEED), managed to break the
> > > writeback sequence in XFS and led to data corruption after power loss.
> > >

> > Was there a report or any other details on this one? In particular, I'm
> > wondering if this is related to the problem exposed by xfstests test
> > xfs/053...
>
> This is the original thread:
>
> 	http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2013-06/msg00066.html

Thanks. It does look similar to xfs/053, the intent of which was to
indirectly create the kind of writeback pattern that exposes this.

> Looks like 053 is about ACLs though?

generic/053 does something with ACLs, xfs/053 is the test of interest.
Regardless, from the thread above it sounds like Dave had honed in on
the cause.

Brian