Re: mmap writes vs truncate causing data corruption

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 02:27:54PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> On Wed 17-09-14 19:28:05, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Brian, Eric and I have been tracking down a set of data corruption
> > problems on XFS over the past couple of days. The one that is
> > important to the wider developer community is the truncate/mmap
> > write issue that Eric isolated from a real-world application that
> > was triggering it.
> >
> > The corruption only affects block size smaller than page size
> > configurations and is caused by mmapped writes to the EOF page
> > which has been partially truncated. If we then extend the file
> > again, the region of the page that was truncated and had blocks
> > punched out of it can be written to via mapped writes without blocks
> > being allocated for the hole. Hence while the page is in the page
> > cache, the contents of the file look OK. Unmount/mount the
> > filesystem, then re-read the page from disk and it will contain
> > zeros because there is a hole rather than data blocks.
>   Hum, this is what we already discussed in
> http://lists.openwall.net/linux-ext4/2014/03/13/23, isn't it? I never
> thought about using mremap() in the test cases. That makes it even a POSIX
> valid test case... Nasty.

Yup, and the test case came from an application rather than being
something that was thought up in a drunken rampage of random
syscalls....

> > In the XFS case, the bug was that the filesystem truncate code is
> > not cleaning the partial page fully during the truncate down or up,
> > and hence the pte remains mapped dirty in the TLB. Hence when new
> > data is written to the page, it doesn't trigger a write fault,
> > ->page_mkwrite is not called and hence blocks are not allocated over
> > the hole. I chose to fix it on the truncate up as it was the lesser
> > of two evils - we can't actually fix the problem entirely because we
> > can't serialise page faults against truncate.
>   Actually, as I mentioned in the above email, exactly the same problem
> happens when file gets extended because of a write beyond EOF (just change
> truncate up for pwrite in your test cases). You didn't handle that case in
> your XFS patch AFAICS.

That's because XFS already does tail block zeroing on truncate up
earlier in the truncate code (the xfs_zero_eof() call). The patch I
wrote simply stabilises the page so that a new page fault occurs
and remaps it correctly.

> > That is, if two filesystems that support block size smaller than
> > page size have similar data corruptions when exercising the same
> > generic code paths in similar ways, then it is likely that other
> > filesystems have similar problems and need to be checked.
>   Frankly, I'd like to handle the problem in the generic code rather than
> having hacks in various filesystems. I have a patch back from 2009 which
> implements a helper function which gets called when creating a hole (either
> from ->setattr or ->write_end) and which handles this. It also has various
> optimizations built in - it doesn't do anything when blocksize == pagesize
> or when no hole block is actually created. Also it doesn't do any IO as you
> do in XFS - it only writeprotects the page.  I'll port the patch and try it
> out with ext4.

I'm not sure exactly how that helps - I'll understand better when I
see the code ;)

Cheers,

Dave.
--