Re: SMR projects

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:13:28PM +0000, Albert Chen wrote:
> Hi Rohan and Darrick,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. We plan to release documentation first, then code once it passes our internal test matrix.
> In the meantime - if you get a chance, could you please let us know if our simulator behavior is what you would expect?
>
> https://github.com/westerndigitalcorporation/SMR-Simulator/wiki/SMR-Simulator-Behavior-Expectations

That looks reasonable.  Some totally unorganized questions:

- Can we use trace points for monitoring the interaction of commands and
  zones and the SWP?

- How does the SWP interact with concurrent requests?  Is it evaluated
  serially as commands first arrive?

- How does the SWP interact with write failure?   I'd guess it's always
  advanced so that the host doesn't have to worry about resetting where
  it's sending IO.

- I guess commands like trim/write same/xcopy would be processed as
  combinations of reads and writes.

- Is the emulator addressing SWP update persistence and write completion
  ordering?

- z