Re: truncate head of file?

Lukáš Czerner wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, Howard Chu wrote:

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 00:00:56 -0700
From: Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: truncate head of file?

Lukáš Czerner wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014, Howard Chu wrote:

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:45:16 -0700
From: Howard Chu <hyc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: truncate head of file?

Was thinking it would be very handy to have a truncate() variant that
deletes
pages from the head of a file. This could be leveraged to make logfiles
easier
to maintain, as an example. Anyone else interested, think this would be
nice
to have?

(Note - not the same as just punching holes in the beginning of the file -
we
want the beginning of the file to advance as well, past the deleted
pages.)

I am not really sure I understand the behaviour you'd like to see.
Can you please explain the behaviour including more concrete use
case ?

For example - we have a logfile (opened O_APPEND) that grows continuously. We
want to delete some old log info from the head of the file. We could use "hole
punching" to cause a specific range of data to be freed, but that just leaves
a sparse file. If we were to cat this file the read() would have to advance
thru all of that empty space before arriving at actual log data. We want both
the data to be freed and for the logical beginning of the file to be moved
forward, to match the location of where the remaining data begins.

Freeing the space would be simplest if we just deallocate X pages from the
file, and then the beginning of the file becomes the beginning of the first
remaining page of the file.

Ok, now I understand. It is exactly what FALLOC_FL_COLLAPSE_RANGE is
for. It has been merged into mainline with commit v3.14-rc1-1-g00f5e61

Ah, thanks for the tip.

However it will not work with O_APPEND nor does any other fallocate
flag except pure fallocate, so not even punch hole would have
worked.

Hm, that's a little bit inconvenient. What if the process calling fallocate() is different from the one appending to the log (i.e., using two separate file descriptors)? Also, when a range is collapsed, are all processes with descriptors opened on the file updated - are their seek positions correctly decremented? I dug up the patches and didn't see any code to handle this but may have missed it.

--
  -- Howard Chu