Re: inotify/sysfs

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus, what do you think about flat-out refusing to create the watches on
> filesystems that can't support them?

Well, you seem to think that NFS and other network filesystems can't
support them.

But they can. It's just that they'll only trigger on *local* changes,
not on remote changes. But if you're doing a file manager on a
workstation, triggering on local changes is generally exactly what you
want.

But for /proc and /sys, I suspect you're right and we probably should
make it an error to not make people think they can do it. Or we should
specify some behavior (maybe it would be ok for certain subdirectories
for hotplug detection if we specify exactly when that is ok).

             Linus