Re: find_fh_dentry returned a DISCONNECTED directory

On 02/14/2014 11:14 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:49:35AM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I don't think there's any reason for those to be flagged
>>> DISCONNECTED either.
>>
>> The only practical difference between the two cases is how
>> quickly it is desirable to connect the entries.
>>
>> The disconnected dentries processed by exportfs are dentries that
>> we want to connect immediately, and it is an error/problem to
>> have the disconnected after processing.
>>
>> The dentries that are the roots of file systems we want to
>> connect them if we get the chance with d_materialise_unique but
>> we don't care if they go long periods without being connected.
>>
>> I believe we want both groups of dentries on the s_anon list so
>> that if they remain disconnected when the filesystem is unmounted
>> we can find them and deal with them.
>
> Note it's IS_ROOT(), not DCACHE_DISCONNECTED, that determines
> whether a hashed dentry is on s_anon or not.  (See
> 7632e465feb182cadc3c9aa1282a057201818a8c for more detailed
> discussion.)
>
>> I can see distinguishing between dentries that are supposed to
>> be disconnected for a short time, and dentries that are supposed
>> to be disconnected indefinitely but we currently (as of 3.14-rc1)
>> don't have that distinction.
>
> I believe we do: DCACHE_DISCONNECTED is for the former, and the
> latter should be IS_ROOT(), !DCACHE_DISCONNECTED.
>
> DCACHE_DISCONNECTED was intended to be used only for dentries
> created while performing lookup-by-filehandle which have not yet
> been confirmed to be linked back to filesystem root by a chain of
> ->d_parent pointers.
>
>> But a blanket statement that the long term disconnected dentries
>> are doing it wrong seems off base.
>>
>> If those dentires can tolerate not being on the s_anon list
>> d_alloc_pseudo or d_make_root looks like it will serve just as
>> well
>
> The difference is that d_alloc_pseudo and d_make_root
> unconditionally create new dentries, whereas d_materialise_unique
> lets us reuse an existing dentry.
>
> (In the NFS client case, I believe this happens for example when
> you mount export A from a server, then export B from the same
> server, and then one day you look up A/foo and find out that it's
> the same directory as B's root.  You don't want to duplicate the
> inode or give it multiple dentries, so you instead reuse the
> existing IS_ROOT dentry for B to represent A/foo.
>
> In the btrfs case I guess it's a similar situation but with two
> subvolumes instead of two exports?)
>
>> from the perspective of d_materialise_unique, but that leaves me
>> with the queasy feeling that we will leak dentries and inodes
>> when we unmount the filesystems in question, if those dentries
>> have never been attached.
>
> In the NFS server (lookup-by-filehandle) case, I believe dentries
> in the process of being reconnected are all children of some
> [...]

Ok using d_make_root makes us leak inodes on umount (I don't know why,
I'm not drunk enough yet.)  I haven't tried it yet but I'm almost 100%
positive if I just clear out DISCONNECTED we will BUG_ON() in
d_splice_alias() when we go to walk into the subvol we've mounted with
the default subvol option.  So what I think I need to do is use use
d_materialise_unique in our lookup function instead of
d_splice_alias() and keep using d_obtain_alias() in get_default_root()
and just clear DISOCONNECTED on success.  Does this sound crazy to
anybody else?  Thanks,

Josef