What is the real issue when file system is full (100%), deleting data won't be effective for df to display correct free space until reboot

Hi,

I am not sure if it is file system issue or df issue. I am running on
CentOS, in both ext3 and ext4 when file system is full, deleting data
/ files to evacuate space won't immediate be effective in df command,
the df won't display correct free space value until reboot the
machine.

Many posts talking about that because some processes still seize the
deleted data or files, I don't see it is true. The files I deleted
were not used by any processes, but the df would sitll display the
same old free space value before deleting the files.

It it possible to restore free space (shown by df) after deleting the
data and files without rebooting the machine?

Thank you.

jupiter