Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] persistent transparent large

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:42:08PM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:23:04AM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > > I'm eager to participate in this year's LSF/MM, but no topics of my
> > > own to propose: I need to listen to what other people are suggesting.
> > >
> > > Topics of most interest to me span mm and fs: persistent memory and
> > > xip, transparent huge pagecache, large sectors, mm scalability.
> >
> > I don't want to particularly pick on Hugh here; indeed, I know he won't
> > take it personally which is why I've chosen to respoond to Hugh's message
>
> Sure, your remarks are completely appropriate, and very well directed.

Thanks.  You're a long-time contributor in so many ways to the VM that I
know this won't prejudice the program committee against you.

> > rather than any of the others.  I'm rather annoyed at the huge disrepancy
> > between the number of people who are *saying* they're interested in
> > persistent memory and the number of people who are reviewing patches
> > relating to persistent memory.
>
> It's fair enough, though, for people to express an interest in a topic,
> without having time to contribute to it beforehand.  That does not earn
> anyone a place, but may help the committee to choose between topics.

Absolutely.  And it might help convince the program committee to invite
someone if they were seen to be active ... ;-)

> > I'd particularly like a VM person to review these two patches:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=138983598101510&w=2
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=138983600001513&w=2
>
> I'd love to give you a constructive answer, but I'm not going to
> comment on 2 out of 22 without getting to grips with the 22.  You've
> been thinking about this stuff for months: others need time too,
> and this is far from the only patchset on their queues.

The first one is stand-alone.  It fixes a bug that has been around for
years ... but nobody noticed because nobody uses XIP.

The second is a little more involved with the rest of the patchset,
and I'd totally understand anyone wanting to review it in conjunction
with the rest of the patchset.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."