Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] New APIs for supporting user-mode file service daemons

On Jan 22, 2014, at 5:22 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Jim Lieb wrote:
>> * readdirplus.  This is a carryover from last year.  Status unknown
>> but the need is still there.
>
> I suspect the path forward here is still to focus on getting an xstat(2)
> interface in place first, and then build readdirplus(2) on top of the same
> building blocks.  There seems to be some general agreement about what this
> should look like (it comes up every year), but we are lacking someone with
> the time to do the patches.

There ARE xstat() patches, but every time they get posted to linux-fsdevel
(most recently http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-cifs/msg08860.html)
they get bogged down in arguments about minor details (type and encoding
of attribute flags, which attributes to include, etc) and then sleep for
another year.

I'm personally very keen on seeing this in the kernel, and am happy with
the current proposal, but it is always simultaneously not flexible enough
for some people, and too much baggage for others.

> Perhaps what would be useful for this upcoming summit is (at a minimum) a
> proposed xstat(2) (and possibly readdirplus(2)) interface out on the list
> so that any final rock-throwing discussion can happen and some consensus
> can be reached...

Plenty of rock throwing and shed painting for the existing patches
already.  Just need to iron out the final details and they would be
ready to go.

Cheers, Andreas