Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] new generation copy offload (ODX)

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 12:20 -0500, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke and I would like to attend LSF and present
> a talk on the new generation copy offload (a.k.a. ODX).
>
> Most discussions about copy offload at the storage level
> are based on T10's 15 year old xcopy(LID1), specifically its
> disk->disk copy. This year T10 hopes to standardize a new
> generation copy offload whose generic name is xcopy(LID4).
> A subset of xcopy(LID4) that does disk->disk copies and
> already has vendors with products supporting it, has the
> market name of ODX.
>
> ODX is ROD (Representation Of Data) based (as is
> xcopy(LID4)) where the copy is split into two steps:
>    disk->held  [SCSI POPULATE TOKEN command]
>    held->disk  [SCSI WRITE USING TOKEN command]
>
> We would like to discuss how the interfaces (both to the
> block layer and the filesystem) should look like for
> implementing ROD based copies.
> Further we would like to discuss if and how the Linux
> target subsystem can be expanded to support ODX in the
> future, in addition to the already existing support for
> xcopy(LID1).
>
> An example of one of the new ODX/xcopy(LID4) capabilities
> can be found in this post:
>    http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg71411.html
>
> We hope to be able to demonstrate some low level Linux
> utilities doing ODX copies on a remote array.

+1.

I've looked briefly at how an initial implementation might work target
side, and while the SCSI pieces are straight-forward enough to
implement, the bigger issue is how an interface for snapshots within the
backend might work to satisfy the requirements for POPULATE TOKEN..

--nab