[LSF/MM ATTEND] Filesystems, Btrfs, topics from Oracle

Hi everyone,

I'd like to attend the LSF/MM conference.  I've been doing various file system
works for the last 3 years, most of that focuses on btrfs.

 *  I built up btrfs's error handling framework which works similar to what
     ext4_std_error does.
 *  I placed much energy on btrfs's fsync performance and improve it to be
     an acceptable number.
 *  I got snapshot-aware defrag project to work which addresses serious
     defragment problems among multiply snapshots.
 *  I added nocow and compress control on per file basis to btrfs.
 *  I wrote btrfs inband dedup.

---

TOPICs that I want to raise for disscusion,

1. 'NO SPACE', ENOSPC

 Btrfs needs to reserve metadata space for updating its core structure Btree,
 sinc we cannot predict how much we'll use precisely, now btrfs has to be
 pessimestic and reserve metadata space as the worst case for each update.

 As it's always 'the worst case', it's inevitable to waste metadata space due to
 the current design.

 So far we've made some progress on this, with overcommit stuff, it works
 better, but with dedup enabled, both space pressure and scalability become big
 troubles again.

 Also, our algorithm of global_rsv calculation(reservation for core trees like
 tree-roots tree, space allocation extent tree) is no more fit in the case of
 dedup.

 So I'd like to talk with people about some potential solutions and the progress
 and analysis I made.

2. Memory shrinker for btrfs

 Memory can be pressure but btrfs just uses too much, it'd better we get a
 reasonable shrinker for this.

3. Multiple blocksize for dedupe and Bloom filter

 For dedupe, we currently only implement fixed blocksize, ie 4K, 8K, etc, but in
 practice use, multiple blocksize for dedup will be more flexible.

 And bloom filter is a good case for finding if the extent is an unique one,
 but it's not easy to do 'delete' operations in bloom filter system because much
 update can be invovled.  So I'd like to share views about these with people to
 see how far we can get, I believe that if we get a fairly good bloom filter,
 other subsystems can get a number of benefits as well.

4. Oracle request for btrfs

 As oracle's linux has been widely used in customers, there are some requested
 features for btrfs, I'd like to share these to see if it's worth making
 short-term or long-term plans somehow.

thanks,
-liubo