Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM ATTEND] Filesystems -- Btrfs, cgroups, Storage topics from Facebook

On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 13:36 -0500, tj@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey, James.
>
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 10:27:18AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Well, you know, since bdis are block device tied, there's a natural
> > question if this can be a similar (or identical) control plane to the
> > one Oren is proposing for the device namespace.  I know you've never
> > really liked the idea, but this is pushing us down that path.
>
> The reason I'm reluctant about Oren's proposal is not about where or
> how it'll be implemented but about whether it's something we want to
> have at all.  The proposed use case seemed exceedingly niche and
> transient to me, which is not to say that the use case shouldn't be
> supported but more that it probably should be implemented in a way
> which is a lot less intrusive even if that means taking compromises
> elsewhere (for example, userland basesystem might not experience full
> transparency).

Don't disagree.  My thought was go from the use cases ... i.e. the
control planes we would need for device namespaces and per-bdi cgroups
and see if anything consistent emerges.  If it does, we still don't have
to implement it, but we know how to if the need arises.

> > Perhaps what we should do is a half day on cgroups before the main LSF
> > (so in collab summit time, or just in the pub the night before) ... I'm
> > not sure all our audience are cgroup aware ...
>
> I think a single slot should suffice.  Talking longer doesn't
> necessarily seem to lead to something actually useful.

Probably OK ... it would have to be a plenary, though, since this covers
fs and io and most of the cgroup interested people are in mm.

James