Re: Usefulness of SEEK_HOLE / SEEK_DATA in generic_file_llseek()

On 12/23/2013 06:12 PM, Jan Kara wrote:
   Hello,

   so I've now hit a xfstests failure for UDF which is caused by the
implementation of SEEK_HOLE / SEEK_DATA in generic_file_llseek(). UDF uses
that function as its .llseek method but it supports holes as any other unix
filesystem (e.g. ext2). The test in xfstests assumes that when it creates a
file by pwrite(fd, buf, bufsz, off), then SEEK_DATA on offset 0 should
return 'off' (off is reasonably rounded) but that's not true for the
implementation in generic_file_llseek().

Now I'm not so much interested in that test itself - that can be tweaked to
detect that case. But I rather wanted to ask - how useful is it to
implement SEEK_HOLE / SEEK_DATA the way it is in generic_file_llseek()?
Because it seems to me that any serious user will have to detect whether
SEEK_HOLE / SEEK_DATA works reasonably and if not, fall back to some
heuristic anyway. So why bother inventing bogus values in
generic_file_llseek and thus making detection of working implementation
harder?
I'm writing this from my in-laws so I'm going to make some assumptions about how the code works based on my memory, so sorry in advanced if this is completely wrong ;).

IIRC with the generic implementation we treat everything <= i_size as data and i_size as the first hole. The way the spec works is that if we are currently at data and do seek_data then we just return our current offset, same for a hole. In order to not be a jackass and have -EOPNOTSUPP for anybody who didn't implement seek_hole/seek_data I just did it this way where the only hole is the one that starts at i_size, so seek_data before that is going to return the value.

As far as detecting an optimized handling of seek_hole/seek_data I'm not sure what the best answer for that is. I suppose seek_hole/seek_data is new enough that people will have checks for -EOPNOTSUPP anyway so we could just switch it back to that, but that seems like a regression of sorts to me. I'm not married to the implementation as it is so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks,

Josef