Re: Argument type for FS_IOC_GETFLAGS/FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctls

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:00:13PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 05:01:41PM -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > > Most of the userland code seems to pass an int to this ioctl, but a few
> > > others (e.g.: bup, libexplain) passes a long. While it doesn't make a
> > > difference on little endian machines, it does make a difference on
> > > 64-bit big endian machines.
> > >
> > > Could you please tell me if I am wrong in my analysis or if there is a
> > > actually real problem?
> >
> > It also causes problems with FUSE, because the kernel fuse driver expects to be
> > able to transfer a ulong to and from userspace, but chattr & friends only
> > allocate an int on the stack, so stack mashing seems to happen.
> >
> > I complained to tytso about it on linux-ext4 a while ago, he suggested
> > special-casing fuse... I haven't gotten around to doing that.
>
> This is a mistake that was made a long, LONG, LONG time ago.  And so
> there are huge numbers of userspace programs which are using an int,
> and we change it to be a long, it will break those userspace programs
> for ALL platforms where sizeof(int) != sizeof(long).  This includes all
> 64-bit x86 systems, for which there are quite a few.  :-)
>
> Yes, it's unfortunate that programs that programs that try to use a
> long are breaking on 64-bit big endian machines, but (a) there are
> much fewer of them, and (b) they are only breaking on big endian
> machines, as opposed the much bigger class of userspace programs which
> would break on the proposed change for ALL 64-bit platforms, including
> x86-64.  And like it or not, there are a lot more linux machines
> running x86-64, compared to those running linux on big-endian PowerPC.
> (Of course, the little-endian ppc machines which IBM is now pushing
> for Linux in data centers will be just fine.  :-P)

I agree that big endian 64-bit is not the majority of the machines, but
still such machines exist. We should just not ignore them. And in my
case the problem arises on s390x, and I am not aware of a little endian
s390 platforms.

> If people really cared, we could allocate a new ioctl codepoint, and
> then teach the kernel to support the new ioctl number, and then
> gradually change userspace to first try the new ioctl, and if that
> failed go back to the old one.  The coversion progress would take 5-10
> years (there are still sites running RHEL 3, and RHEL 4 after all),
> and it wouldn't help existing userspace programs, that would still be
> using the old code point.  Hence my recommendation that the path of
> least resistence is to fix the kernel FUSE code, instead of trying to
> change the world.

In my case, I am *not* talking about FUSE code, but programs using this
ioctl from userland. Changing the kernel FUSE code won't fix the problem
I reported.

People who do the things correctly lookup the argument type in
<linux/fs.h>, they see it's a long and then use a long in their code. And
they are right. The bare minimum would be to add a comment close to the
definition to explain to use an int and not a long.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@xxxxxxxxxxx                 http://www.aurel32.net