Atomic I/Os, Transactions

Since atomic I/Os have come up recently, I thought I'd throw a wish-list item out there for consideration. It seems to me that the notion of write barriers was too heavy-handed. What I would like is a way to tag groups of writes. The only ordering constraint being, writes within a group tagged N cannot be started before all writes in group N-1 have completed. Aside from that, writes within a group may be freely mixed and reordered with non-tagged/non-grouped writes, and freely reordered within the group. That would allow a DB application to commit its transactions with a consistent ordering without requiring a full cache flush/sync/etc., thus reducing impact on overall I/O.

--
  -- Howard Chu