Re: [RFC] do we want pipefs et.al. in /proc/filesystems?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         These days there's no reason to register the filesystem types
> that can only be used for internal mounts - ia64 pfmfs, anon_inodes,
> bdev, pipefs and sockfs, in the current tree.  The only user-visible
> effect of dropping those register_filesystem() would be shorter
> /proc/filesystems - that bunch wouldn't be mentioned there anymore.
> Does anything care about that?  FWIW, the diff eliminating those
> would be as below (net/socket.c init leaks on early failures;
> I'd left that as-is - it's a separate story).

I like the patch, but I do worry that some user space thing uses this
to check whether the particular filesystem module is loaded.

Those kinds of things can't use /proc/modules (because it might be
built-in), but /proc/filesystems has traditionally contained
everything.

That said, these particular filesystems I really don't think people
would ever possibly check for, so I think it's fine.

              Linus