Stackable Union Filesystem Implementation

Hi Al,

  This is to ask as to what approach is to be taken to bring up a
Union  Filesystem for Linux kernel.

AFAIK
I can think of two ways to do it

 1. VFS-based stacking solution- I would like to cite the work done by
Valerie Aurora was closest.

 2. Non-VFS-based stacking solution -  UnionFS, Aufs and the new Overlay FS

Patches for kernel exists for overlayfs & unionfs.
What is your and communities view like which one would be good fit to go with?

I need to add one more feature to this unioning that of "diskless node
handling" for CERN where it is required to provide a faster diskless
booting to the LHCb(Large Hadron Collider Beauty) nodes.

 For this I need a
1. A global Read Only FIlesystem
2. A client-specific Read Write FIlesystem via NFS
3. A local Merged(of the above two) Read Write FIlesystem on ramdisk.

 Kindly guide me as to which of the above approach should be taken to
implement this kind of union filesystem for CERN.

  Regards,
  Saket Sinha