Data Integrity Check on EXT Family of Filesystems

Hello,

I am considering writing a tool to perform data integrity checking on filesystems
which do not support it internally (e.g. ext4). When storing long-term backups,
I would like to be able to detect bit rot or other corruption to ensure that I
have intact backups. The method I am considering is to recreate the directory
structure of the backup directory in a "shadow" directory tree, and then hash
each of the files in the backup directory and store the hash in the same filename
in the shadow directory. Then, months later, I can traverse the backup directory,
taking a hash of each file again and comparing it with the hash stored in the
shadow directory tree. If the hashes match, then the file's integrity has been
verified (or at least has not degraded since the shadow directory was created).

Does this seem like a reasonable approach for checking data integrity, or is there
an existing tool or different method which would be better?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin