Re: Considering remove spinlock around f_op->setlease()

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 05:17:26 -0700
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:41:14AM +0800, Feng Shuo wrote:
> > much easier. Especially, if there
> > Copy to Jeff and Arnd who were working on that lock. Also Miklos, yes,
> > it's still me, the one was
> > worked on fuse adaptive readdir_plus....now I'm working for GPFS....
>
> People will start giving a shit once your filesystem in the Linux source
> tree.  People that violate our license are generally not overly liked.

I concur. I'm not sure you'll get much traction on this since no
existing ->setlease caller in the tree needs it.

The only current ->setlease caller that actually does anything is
cifs_setlease, and it will only succeed if there's already an oplock on
the file. Eventually we might want to add support for upgrading SMB2/3
leases there, and at that point we probably will need to do something
that allows that function to sleep.

I know that Steve Whitehouse had also mentioned implementing leases in
GFS2 at some point, but no idea whether that will involve operations
that need to sleep (I imagine it will since you'll probably need to
talk to DLM).

So, I have no specific objection to sane patches that allow ->setlease
to be called without the lock held, but you do need a way to ensure
that the returned lease will stick around until you can do the fasync
stuff. I don't think we want to convert all of this to mutexes, so
you'll probably need to get more clever with how the spinlocking is
handled.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>