Re: [[RESEND]PATCH v4 00/10] VFS hot tracking

On Mon, 12 August 2013 10:20:14 +0800, zwu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   The patchset is trying to introduce hot tracking function in
> VFS layer, which will keep track of real disk I/O in memory.
> By it, you will easily know more details about disk I/O, and
> then detect where disk I/O hot spots are. Also, specific FS
> can take use of it to do accurate defragment, and hot relocation
> support, etc.

I find this description extremely uninteresting.  Sure, you can track
hot now.  Grammatically, I am missing a noun.  Are you tracking hot
pages, hot files or hot potatoes?

More importantly, once you have identified the hot stuff, why should I
care?  What problem does it solve?  The documentation patch at the end
has a "motivation" paragraph, but the introduction email does not.  As
a result, every time you sent these patches, I quickly glanced at
them, decided not to care and moved on.

And finally, now that I have hunted down the motivation and know it is
about caching stuff on ssd, I question your basic approach.  Why do
you want to touch the vfs at all and not do it as a block device
driver?  The big advantage of a block driver is that noone cares.
People without ssd shouldn't care, as caching doesn't help them.
People without spinning rust shouldn't care as caching doesn't help
them either.  And people with a mixture of both shouldn't care in a
few years time, once they have fully transitioned to ssd.

If you solve the problem in the vfs, I am forced to care.  I cannot
just select CONFIG_CACHING_BLOCK_DEVICE=n and be done with it.  If you
want me to carry such a cost for you, you better demonstrate some
enticing advantages for me as well.  There is no CONFIG_VFS=n, after
all.

Jörn

--
Audacity augments courage; hesitation, fear.
-- Publilius Syrus