Re: [RFC v0 1/4] vfs: add copy_range syscall and vfs entry point

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:50:13PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> Doesn't the new syscall have to invalidate the page cache pages that
> the server is about to overwrite as btrfs does with the following line
> in fs/btrfs/ioctl.c
>
> 	truncate_inode_pages_range(&inode->i_data, destoff,
> 				   PAGE_CACHE_ALIGN(destoff + len) - 1);
>
> (and doesn't truncate_inode_pages_range handle page cache alignment
> anyway - and also why did btrfs use truncate_inode_pages_range instead
> of invalidate?)
>
> Does nfs client ever have the case where two different superblocks map
> to the same nfs export (and thus the check below is restricting the
> ability to do server side copy)?
>
> +	if (inode_in->i_sb != inode_out->i_sb ||
> +	    file_in->f_path.mnt != file_out->f_path.mnt)
> +		return -EXDEV;

The client attempts to use the same superblock whenever it can.

I suppose you're also losing the opportunity to copy between two
different filesystems on the same server, which should be faster than
requiring the client to do the copy.

--b.