RE: Mainlining Lustre client

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-fsdevel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-fsdevel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of J. Bruce Fields
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:21 PM
To: Peng, Tao
Cc: Andi Kleen; Greg Kroah-Hartman; Al Viro; linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Christoph Hellwig; Andreas Dilger; Matthew Wilcox; Theodore Ts'o; Myklebust, Trond; faibish, sorin; Tang, Haiying
Subject: Re: Mainlining Lustre client

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 12:12:27AM +0800, Peng Tao wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The rules for staging are:
> >>       - it has to build
> >>       - it has to be self-contained in drivers/staging/YOUR_NAME/
> >>       - it has to have a correct license (i.e. GPLv2 compatible).
> >>       - it has to have a TODO file listing what needs to be done in
> >>         order to get it out of staging.
> >> that's it.
> >
> > Traditionally Lustre needed some patches in fs/* I don't know if
> > that's still the case.
> >
> > But if yes you would likely need to get those in first separately.
> >
> Those are only needed for Lustre server now. For client, there is no
> need to patch other parts out side of fs/lustre and net/lnet.

The Lustre server is in kernel?  Are there plans to mainline that?
[SF] There is an open source Linux server that is supported by latest kernels that can be installed on any Linux server and can be used for testing at: http://git.whamcloud.com/?p=fs/lustre-release.git;a=summary. At this time we didn't look at mainline the server but if there is interest we can consider this option in the OpenSFS community.

If not, what does someone need to get to test the client?

--b.