Re: Mainlining Lustre client

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:54:12AM +0800, Peng Tao wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Does it really make sense to stage a filesystem under drivers/*?
>> > IMHO it makes a lot more sense to put the components into the
>> > location where they would live in the upstream kernel tree (i.e.
>> > fs/lustre and net/lnet).
>> >
>> This is how current patches are created. And I agree with you that
>> putting the code in fs/lustre and net/lnet and depending on
>> CONFIG_STAGING will be more convenient for future development.  It is
>> also what Trond suggested in last year's LSF-MM summit. Personally I
>> am OK with either way though.
>>
>> So it is indeed a question to Greg and Al: Do you have any objections
>> if we put lustre client code in fs/lustre and net/lnet, depending it
>> on CONFIG_STAGING? Thanks very much!
>
> I will not touch any code outside of drivers/staging/ so you need to
> coordinate this with the network and fs maintainers if you don't want
> the code in drivers/staging/
>
> Personally, I'd recommend not putting it in fs/ and net/ because it
> really isn't ready for that part of the kernel.  Also, no one will
> realize it is there to be cleaned up, so you will not get help from
> others on this.  Also, the TAINT_CRAP will not apply to your code, which
> is usually not a good thing, because you want your users to realize
> this.
>
> And yes, we have had filesystems under drivers/staging.  Heck, we had a
> whole subarch in there for a while, as long as it's self-contained, I
> don't have a probelm with it.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for confirming. I will regenerate the patch and put it under
drivers/staging. We can continue the cleanup work there.

> But, if you are just trying to get around the Red Hat rule that they
> don't enable drivers in drivers/staging/ well, that's some politics that
> I don't want to get in the middle of.

No, we just want the code mainlined, no intension to mess with Red Hat
rules. :) Red Hat users are well supported by third party packages
provided by Intel/Whamcloud ATM.

> So, again, I'll gladly take the code in drivers/staging/ whenever you
> can send me the patch.  If you don't want it there, then I can't help
> you out.

Thanks for your support! Will send you the patch once it is ready.

Best Regards,
Tao