Re: [6/8] Rich ACLs (continued, drive through this time)

On 04/08/2013 03:42 AM, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
 From the top of my head please correct me where I'm wrong.

Anish Kumar from IBM has posted a patchset to support rich ACLs at Filesystems of interest
Specially also by the NFS client FS, and through the KNFSD by the exported FSs of interest.

His approach was to have both the POSIX-ACLs and the RICH-ACLs, co exist at the VFS and FS
layer, and to interact nicely together. But a supporting FS needs to support two APIs and
do its own code refactoring at the bottom.

What the VFS community wanted to see is that all FS APIs change to the bigger RICH-ACLs
API, and the translation from rich to POSIX is done at the generic VFS layer, thoughts
doing the refactoring once at the VFS.

Anish pressed between his IBM obligations and the huge amount of coding it will take
to convert all FSs, has put the project on a back burner, and we have not seen any
farther changes from him.

JV Please find and post a git tree with the latest code. And if there are some
documentation post them here. Please also try to find the original ML thread that
is captured above.

[Proposition]

There are more interested parties then Anish in this matter. I know for a fact that IBM,
Panasas RedHat, and any NFS and CIFS community member would like to see this work done.
I propose that we get a status update, on what's there now. Talk about a strategy for
an incremental but complete Kernel transformation, and finally submission. And I think
All parties above should invest in time and resources together to drive this through. I would
like to see all this done under Anish's guide if possible.

[JV what is Anish's email ?]
Included Aneesh in the discussion.

[user-mode API]
And we will need a good local API for get/set of rich ACLs, currently they are interfaced
through either a Windows CIFS client or through some NFS4 test applications. There should
be an API that can be used both at the local FS as well as via the NFS-client.
(And the new readdir-plus should give us a flag if there are ACLs present at an entry)

Thanks
Boaz