[ATTEND] [LSF TOPIC] What to do about O_DIRECT?

Hello,

I'd like to attend this years LSF.  I've been doing various file system work for
the last 6 years, most of that with my head down in btrfs.

I'd like to talk about what to do about O_DIRECT.  Nobody really owns it and
nobody really _wants_ to own it, and we've all been tacking on our own file
systems optimizations and work arounds to make the generic stuff work.  I'm to
the point now where I'm just going to do all the work ourselves inside of btrfs
since we need to have different waiting rules.  So the question is do we want to
just rm -f fs/direct-io.c and let everybody do their own thing, or is there some
way we can tease out the actual generic stuff that everybody is going to need to
do and adapt everybody to use that?  And then theres the question of what are
the things we want to do in the generic code, do we want to just do the get
pages thing, do we want to still have stuff to build and submit the bios?  What
about how AIO interacts with it?  And best of all can we convince Zach to do all
of it for us!  Thanks,

Josef