Re: O_DIRECT on tmpfs (again)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Dave Kleikamp <dave.kleikamp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> Whilst I agree with every contradictory word I said back then ;)
> >> my current position is to wait to see what happens with Shaggy's "loop:
> >> Issue O_DIRECT aio using bio_vec" https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/22/847
> >
> > As the patches exist today, the loop driver will only make the aio calls
> > if the underlying file defines a direct_IO address op since
> > generic_file_read/write_iter() will call a_ops->direct_IO() when
> > O_DIRECT is set. For tmpfs or any other filesystem that doesn't support
> > O_DIRECT, the loop driver will continue to call the read() or write()
> > method.
>
> Hi, Hugh and Shaggy,
>
> Thanks for your replies--it looks like we're back to square one.  I
> think it would be trivial to add O_DIRECT support to tmpfs, but I'm not
> convinced it's necessary.  Should we wait until bug reports start to
> come in?

It's reassuring to know that tmpfs won't have to rush in direct_IO
to support loop when Dave's changes go through (thanks); but I'd still
like to experiment with going that way, to see if it works better.

I've not been entirely convinced that tmpfs needs direct_IO either;
but your links from back then show a number of people who feel that
direct_IO had become mainstream enough to deserve the appearance of
support by tmpfs.

And you observe that tmpfs is being used more widely for /tmp nowadays:
I agree that may increase its desirability.

Like you, I'm really hoping someone will join in and say they'd been
disadvantaged by lack of O_DIRECT on tmpfs: no strong feeling myself.

Hugh