Re: Inode metadata and file data syncing

On 2012-07-18, at 9:53, "Jelinek, Sarah" <sarah.jelinek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am in the process of writing a file system in Linux. This file system
> has a separate mechanism by which we manage metadata so I do not want to
> write the file inode metadata to disk without explicitly requesting an
> update. I do need the file data pages to be written to disk as per the
> normal writeback process.

The first, most important, question is why are you writing a new filesystem for Linux?  There are lots of filesystems already, and the amount of effort to write a complete filesystem (instead of a simple filesystem with only basic functionality) is fairly high.

Unless there is an overwhelmingly good reason to implement a new filesystem, it is better to improve some other existing filesystem to have the feature(s) that you are missing, instead of creating a new one. That helps you avoid a lot of effort, and adds value to everyone else that is using the existing filesystem, instead of making a niche filesystem only useful to yourself and needing ongoing maintenance.