Re: Use case for "loop: Issue O_DIRECT aio with pages"?

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 09:14 -0500, Chris Mason wrote:

> > So I've been taking a lot at your patch series, and one of the things
> > which would help me understand the requirements behind what you are
> > doing is *why* is it interesting to allow kernel code to submit aio
> > requests, and loop devices to be able to direct I/O requests all the
> > way to the underlying file systems.  In other words, what's the use
> > case that you're most interested in that these patches would enable?
>
> I'll let James talk about the parallels use case, which includes some
> nice building blocks on top of just exporting a file as a block device.

Our use case is even more simple:  containers are a simple slicing up of
the existing operating system sharing the same kernel.  There are
performance impacts (mostly because the journal becomes a hot spot) from
running a bunch of containers in a single filesystem as chroots (the
current setup), so we want to transition to an image file based system
like VMs use.  To do that we need a device mapping to an image file per
container and, since we don't have a hypervisor, the only way to do this
today is via loop.

We basically want to redo the current loop device to make it far more
performant (get rid of double caching using DIO etc.) and, of course,
less crash prone.

James