Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC][ATTEND]IOPS based ioscheduler

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 13:12 -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Flash based storage has its characteristics. CFQ has some optimizations
> > for it, but not enough. The big problem is CFQ doesn't drive deep queue
> > depth, which causes poor performance in some workloads. CFQ also isn't
> > quite fair for fast storage (or further sacrifice of performance to get
> > fairness) because it uses time based accounting. This isn't good for
> > block cgroup. We need something different to make both performance and
> > fairness good.
> >
> > A recent attempt is to use IOPS based ioscheduler for flash based
> > storage. It's expected to drive deep queue depth (so better performance)
> > and be more fairness (IOPS based accounting instead of time based).
> >
> > I'd like to discuss:
> >  - Do we really need it? Or the question is if it is popular real
> > workloads drive deep io depth?
> >  - Should we have a separate ioscheduler for this or merge it to CFQ?
> >  - Other implementation discussions like differentiation of read/write
> > requests and request size. Flash based storage doesn't like rotate
> > storage, request cost of read/write and different request size usually
> > is different.
>
> I think you need to define a couple things to really gain traction.
> First, what is the target?  Flash storage comes in many varieties, from
> really poor performance to really, really fast.  Are you aiming to
> address all of them?  If so, then let's see some numbers that prove that
> you're basing your scheduling decisions on the right metrics for the
> target storage device types.
For fast storage, like SSD or PCIe flash card.

> Second, demonstrate how one workload can negatively affect another.  In
> other words, justify the need for *any* I/O prioritization.  Building on
> that, you'd have to show that you can't achieve your goals with existing
> solutions, like deadline or noop with bandwidth control.
Basically some workloads with cgroup. bandwidth control doesn't cover
all requirements for cgroup users, that's why we have cgroup for CFQ
anyway.

>   Proportional
> weight I/O scheduling is often sub-optimal when the device is not kept
> busy.  How will you address that?
That's true. I choose better performance instead of better fairness if
device isn't busy. Fast flash storage is expensive, I thought
performance is more important in such case.

Thanks,
Shaohua